Section 3 Business Concerns

Section 3 Business Concerns

The Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh is committed to creating opportunities for businesses that qualify for Section 3 Business Concerns. Organizations seeking certification must complete and submit the required form and adequate proof to the Section 3 Coordinator as required. For more information on how to obtain Section 3 Business Certification, please contact:

Riverside Center For Innovation
Judith Woodson McNeil, Program Coordinator
Diversity Business Resource Center
700 River Avenue – Suite 510
Pittsburgh, PA  15212
Office  412.322.3272
Fax     412.322.3513
Email  jm@riversidecenterforinnovation.com

Businesses interested in seeking a Section 3 certification may refer to the following Frequently Asked Questions for a better understanding of the how the process works.

Q. What is a Section 3 business and what types of economic opportunities are available under Section 3?

A. A Section 3 business is a business that:

  • Is at least 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents;
  • Has a work force where at least 30% of employees are Section 3 residents, or within three years of the date of first employment with the business concern were Section 3 residents; or
  • Provides evidence of a commitment to subcontract in excess of 25% of the dollar award of all subcontracts to be awarded to a Section 3 business concern.

Q. What are the benefits of being a Section 3 business?

A. You can be awarded a share of HUD funding from construction and non-construction related projects every year. If you are eligible, and not certified, you could miss out on this opportunity. Your business may receive preference consideration for awards on all Section 3 HUD-funded projects in which you have submitted a formal bid. HACP provides a Section 3 business list for developers and contractors who are interested in fulfilling their Section 3 requirements with subcontracting work.

Q. What information do I need in order to certify my company as a Section 3 business?

A. You must provide Regional Housing Legal Services with documentation that you are a business. This may include: Copy of Incorporation, Certificate of Good Standing, Fictitious Name Certification, List of owners/stockholders, Partnership Agreement, Operation Agreement, or any additional documentation.

 You must also provide documentation for at least one of the following categories:

  • Section 3 Owned Enterprise
  • Subcontracting 25 percent of the dollar awarded to qualified Section 3 business
  • At least 30 percent of their workforce are currently Section 3 residents or were Section 3 eligible residents within 3 years of date of first employment with the business

Q. What about for a business claiming status as a Section 3 resident-owned enterprise?

A. You must provide certification for Section 3 Residents (at least 51% of the business owners).

Q. What about for business claiming Section 3 status by subcontracting 25% of the dollar award to qualified Section 3 business?

A. List of subcontracted Section 3 business(es) and subcontract amount supporting documentation for each subcontracted Section 3 Business.

Q. What about for a business claiming Section 3 status, claiming at least 30 percent of their workforce are currently Section 3 residents or were Section 3 eligible residents within 3 years of date of first employment with the business?

A. You must provide: a list of all current full-time employees, a list of employees claiming Section 3 status, and certification for Section 3 residents (supporting documents showing Section 3 status immediately prior to date of first hire).

Q. Who should I contact to begin the process of certifying to be a Section 3 business?

A. Contact Riverside Center For Innovation (see above), and then Apply for Section 3 Certification